If you are new to business websites, the idea of optimizing your website for search can seem intimidating. Actually, it’s quite easy if you know what to do.
Even if you are an experienced website owner who knows what to do but needs a nudge to clean up a tired site, you will find help here.
Presentation originally given as a webinar to Real Diaper Industry Association members, most of whom were first-time optimizers who own small stores and diaper services. Includes basic SEO housekeeping tips, 5 steps to site-wide optimization, 3 things every page needs, and a few more simple steps for those who are ready.
Level: absolute beginners or those who need a little nudge to clean up a tired site.
Where to Start Optimizing Your Business Website
5 Simple Steps to Clean Up Sitewide
- Find your site – Google site:mydomain.com
- www or non-www – 301 redirects
- Google set up – Webmaster Tools & Analytics
- Check your speed – PageSpeed Insights
- Link between pages – Link on descriptions
3 Things Every Page Needs
- Unique Title – Shows in search results
- Unique Meta Description – Sometimes shows in search results
- Descriptive Filename – End of the URL
Ready for More?
- Does Google think you have problems?
Webmaster Tools> Diagnostics > HTML suggestions
Fix every problem here, and you are well on your way to a clean web house
- Is your site easy to use?
Find out if users bounce quickly off your site. If they do, they are not finding what they want.
Search engines notice this and rank you higher if visitors stay longer.
- Is your site interesting and useful enough to share?
If you have links from websites and social shares, that is a general indication that others find your site useful.
Search engines like that, so shares and links will boost your rank.
- Does your site work?
If your site is slow and full of broken links, it looks abandoned.
Search engines want to send searchers to great sites. A functional, fast site will rank higher.